This alert has been closed and is no longer available.
Capay Mills is growing and looking for a reliable, attentive and inquisitive part-time milling and production associate.
We’re looking for someone to help out 1-2 days a week at our small mill shop in Esparto, less than 30 minutes from Davis, Winters and Woodland.
The milling associate needs to be scrupulously attentive to detail, to ensure we continue to produce the finest quality stone-milled flour for our customers.
Most important, we’re looking for someone eager to learn more about small-scale local grain production and flour milling. You are likely an avid baker or bread-maker, and interested in building local food systems.
The work consists of confirming orders, weighing out whole grain, filling, adjusting and monitoring the mill for consistent flour quality. Once the flour is milled, you’ll be responsible for labeling and bagging the flour in our traditional flour-print cotton bags.
In addition, there’s plenty of additional work to be had helping during planting and harvesting seasons here in Capay Valley.
We’re looking for someone to work a single 8-hour shift per week, with additional hours as sales increase.
- Strong interest in breads and baking (most important)
- Interest in sustainable agriculture and heirloom varieties
- Interest in promoting local food economies, and working with local growers
- Ability to lift up to 60#
- Comfortable working with light machinery
- Tolerance for working in an occasionally noisy and dusty environment (hearing and dust protection provided)
- Able to work independently with minimum supervision
In return, you’ll benefit from:
- A flexible schedule- work when most convenient for you
- Hands-on experience working with heirloom grain cultivation and processing (optional), flour milling, and building a local food economy
- Opportunity to help out planting, growing, harvesting and processing heirloom grain for milling
- At least 6 lbs. of free, fresh-milled heirloom flour a week for your own baking
- $12/hr. to start, with reviews every 3 months
For more information, write to email@example.com